The investigative journalism course teaches you to deeply investigate a single topic of interest such as serious crime, corruption or corporate wrongdoing. The course involves both intensive in-class work and remote mentorship.
Topics in this four-day course in Investigative journalism include:
- Pitching Ideas for Investigative Journalism
- Types of sources in Investigative Journalism
- Organising an investigation
- Ethical and legal challenges in Investigative Journalism
Who should attend?
The investigative journalism course is designed for journalists in Malawi and the region who want to acquire reporting skills and knowledge that will enable them to better examine facts to establish the truth, including:
- beginner, mid-level and advanced reporters
- journalists and editors
- media professionals with a background in print, online, radio or television.
Who are the trainers?
MISA Malawi trainers are experienced investigative journalists who have completed a rigorous ‘Train the Trainer’ course to develop their training expertise. They have also conducted workshops alongside trainers from DW Akademie, Germany’s media development organisation, to benefit from their international experience.
Where is the course held?
Course offered in Lilongwe are held at MISA Malawi’s purpose-built media training centre: Mtolankhani House, Plot 99 in the Acacia area, Lilaga Community.
The centre is equipped with:
- audio recording kits
- modern computers equipped with audio editing software
- projectors and projector screens
- high-speed internet.
- two large well ventilated training rooms
- air conditioning
- outside luncheon area
- ample car parking.
Mtolankhani House is located about 7km from Gateway Mall. From town, take the Mchinji Road, turn right on the newly constructed Kasiya Road. Turn left at the Acacia signpost and follow the signposts from there to Mtolankhani House.
To be announced
Who is it for?
All media professions from beginner to advanced level, who have interest in conducting in-depth journalism.
- 4 Days in-class
- 3 months remote mentorship
How many participants?
Maximum 12 with 4 trainers
Location – Lilongwe trainings
MISA Malawi Training Centre
For more information please contact us on:
+265 1 758 091.