Issues we address
MISA Malawi’s mission is to play a leading role in creating an environment of media freedom and freedom of expression that promotes independence, pluralism and diversity of views and opinions, media sustainability, competency and professionalism.
The mission and vision of MISA Malawi are based on the following principles and values:
• Freedom of expression as defined in article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and article 9 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
• Media freedom, independence, diversity and pluralism as provided for in the Windhoek Declaration of 1991
• Three tier separation of power as provided for in the SADC Declaration on Information and Communication Technology with the government being responsible for a conducive national policy framework, independent regulator responsible for licensing and a multiplicity of providers in a competitive environment responsible for providing services
• Three tier system of broadcasting (public, commercial and community) as provided in the African Charter on Broadcasting of 2001
• Media professionalism and the observance of ethical standards in media products that seek to inform, empower, educate and entertain
• Citizens’ right to access to information in order to enhance transparency and citizen participation in government, judiciary and legislative issues
• Participatory democracy, respect for human rights, equality, human dignity, freedom and non-discrimination
• Gender equality in and through the media and society.